Saturday, August 21, 2010

LG Ally

As a getting out of the hospital gift to ourselves, girl and I got new cell phones.  I really didn’t need one as I loved my old cell phone.  It was a Palm Centro, a smart  phone.  It did everything I thought I needed in a phone.  But when we were at the Verizon store they told me that I was eligible for an upgrade and that they had a buy one get on free special going on.  So to humor the salesman I checked out his little phone he was offering.  It was an LG Ally and boy was it was sharp.  I fell in love.  Before I knew it, we were both walking out of the phone with a new LG phone.

So far we have had it for just over 2 weeks and I love it.  If you’re a fan of Star Trek you’ll appreciate this analogy: For all intents and purposes, it’s a tricorder.  While I’m sure there’s some things it can’t do, I’ve yet to find them.  I have spent 3 hours going through the free apps and I still haven’t found the end of the list.  Of course a lot of them I’ll never even consider downloading, but I have found about a dozen that now take up space on my phone.  And with 32 gb of SD card to fill up, I have plenty of room to do anything I want.  My only complaint is that with all the apps that this thing can run in the background, the battery doesn’t last nearly as long as it did in my Palm.  On the Palm I had about 8 days of standby, 5 days if I talked on the phone for about 20 minutes a day.  With the LG the battery lasts about 2.5 days.  Of course there are things I can do/set to make the battery last longer, and I use them, but that limits some of the functions of the phone. 

Long story short, if you’re looking for a new phone, check out the LG Ally.  It really is a nice phone.  And the slide out keyboard is a perfect companion to the large touch screen.  I do have one thing I would change—I would make it, if possible, set so the ringer on the calendar events would sound until some sort of input was entered by the person to shut them off.  As it is the ringer sounds once and then leaves a notification on the screen.  Minor, I know, but annoying.  However, with that in mind, I still love the phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment